For LED screen industry, one of the most important things is the quality of LED lamp beads. Each square meter of LED display module can lay down thousands to tens of thousands of LED lamp bead so it is the main component that contributes to the display performance of the whole screen, influencing the impression of audiences directly. Besides, the cost of LED lamp beads takes the largest proportion of the overall cost, ranging from 30% to 70%. That is why knowing how to judge the quality of LED lamp lights is so important for all LED display screen users.
1. How LED Lamp Beads Impact Screens
1.1 Viewing Angle
The viewing angle of LED display is determined by that of LED lamp beads. Some displays installed on the high buildings may require a wider viewing angle. Please notice if the viewing angle and brightness contradict each other, the brightness may be inevitably reduced. So the choice of LED lamp beads needs to be decided according to the specific application sites.
1) The brightness of LEDs is an important determinant of the brightness of the whole LED display. Generally speaking, the higher the brightness of LEDs, the more content possibility there, which also can be a favor for saving power consumption and keeping stable performances.
2) The narrower the viewing angle, the brighter the LED lamp light is. As a rule, 100° viewing angle should be ensured to give the display sufficient perspective. However, the balance between brightness, viewing angle and the cost should be kept.
1.3 Failure Rate
As a full color LED display can be composed for hundreds of thousands of red, green and blue pixels, thus the failure of any one of the color will negatively affect the overall visual effect of the display.
1.4 Anti-static Ability
LEDs belong to the semiconductor and are sensitive to static, so it is susceptible to static failure sometimes. However, the ability to resist static can be critical to the using life of the whole screen. Generally, the failure voltage of human body mode test shall not be less than 2000V.
The theoretical lifespan of LED lamp beads can be 100,000 hours, which is far longer than that of other components of LED display panels. There is a great possibility that LEDs can be one of the most durable components of the whole LED display screens if there are appropriate operating current, PCB thermal design and rigorous production process.
1.6 Attenuation Characteristic
Red, green, blue LED brightness attenuation amplitude inconsistency will cause the LED display color inconsistency, which is what we often say the phenomenon of the display flower. And high-quality LED devices can well control the brightness decay amplitude.
After a long working time, LED display module may appear brightness declining and color inconsistency (this phenomenon can be described as one word we often meet as “blurred screen”), mainly due to the brightness attenuation of LEDs.
The size of LED lamp light influences the resolution of LED display. The 5mm ellipsoidal LEDs are mainly used for outdoor LED screens above P16; 3mm LEDs are mainly applied to P12.5, P12, P10 outdoor LED displays; 3528 SMD LEDs are usually used for P6, P8 indoor LED displays and 2020 SMD LEDs are mainly used for P2, P3 and other kinds of indoor LED screens.
In the premise of the dot pitch remains unchanged while the LEDs size increases, the display area will increase, too. However, with the reduction of the black area, the contrast will be weakened. On the contrary, when the size decreasing, the contrast will be improved.
The consistency of the brightness and wavelength of each LEDs determines the brightness consistency, white balance consistency and chromaticity consistency of the entire display.
The LED lamp bead is angular, meaning full color LED display has different viewing angles, which will bring different brightness level when you see from different angles. Thus, the angle consistency of red, green and blue the three color that LEDs perform will finally affect the white balance when watching from different angles, which directly affects the color fidelity of the display. To match the need for consistency, there must be scientific design and high-quality raw materials.
2.How to Choose LED Lamp Bead
After knowing the influences that LEDs bring to the whole screen, you may have already realized the importance of choosing great, high-quality LED lamp lights for your functional LED display. So, how we can choose the right products? There are some tips for you.
1) Checking the solder joints. LED manufacturers usually use the SMT SMD process and apply solder paste and reflow soldering technology.
2) The cleanliness of the surface of LEDs. If applied SMT process, the surface should be clean without too many impurities and stains.
3) The chip. The chip is the decisive factor which determines the overall quality of lamp beads. In general, the more stable the chip is, the brighter the LED lamp beads are, and the better the heat dissipation is.
4) The glue. Generally, good products will apply imported glue, and the lamp beads will not deform when pressed by fingers but low-quality ones will appear deformation or even cracking.
5) The packaging technology. High-quality LED lamp lights can perform uniform color and good consistency, and this is inseparable from good machinery and equipment.
6) Color consistency. Poor quality lamp beads will appear brightness disunity, and there may be obvious dark areas.
7) Reliable suppliers. Choosing suppliers with a good reputation such as NationStar and so on can reduce the risks of performance failure.
3.The Bottom line
This article concludes the potential influences LED lamp beads may bring to the LED screen, and the principles to judge the quality. In conclusion, choosing the reliable LED lamp beads can be an essential part of selecting satisfied LED screens because LEDs can impact the final visual effect from every aspect.