Since its invention, LED display screen has been widely used in many areas such as studios, monitoring center, shopping mall, exhibitions, indoor applications and so on. In fact, no matter outdoor or indoor LED display all have inherent advantages over other kinds of displays in aspects including brightness, definition and customized features. However, moire effect LED screen sometimes is a confusing and annoying problem when we use mobile phones or other shooting equipment to shoot the screen.
That can be seen as strips like water waves in strange color, and also fussy tomographic images like the picture shown below:
What Are the Reasons of Moire Effect LED Screen?
Because of the lack of refresh rate, when shooting the screen, some of lines on the display do not light up at the same time, leading to moire effect.
But why does this effect often only happen when we take pictures by phones but can not be recognized by our naked eyes?
Here we introduce to you the idea of refresh rate. We all know the unit of refresh rate refers to Hz. And it represents how many times the screen refreshes in one second.
For instance, LED display screen with 60Hz means the screen will refresh 60 times in one second. You can probably understand now that the quick shutter speed of mobile phones should account for moire effect of LED screen as when that speed is faster than the refresh rate, it will capture the asynchronous lighting-up, so as lead to these strange strips on the photos and videos.
Nowadays, most of the cameras are applying a shutter speed of 1/2000 times one second, meaning LED screens with 1000Hz or 1920Hz refresh rate will inevitably cause moire effect.
Typically, only 3840Hz LED display equipped with high-class and high-definition PWM driving IC can ensure no moire when shooting the screen.
How Can We Deal with Moire Effect of LED Display?
Now, we have already understood why moire effect LED screen comes. But how can we deal with it? Here we provide you with some solutions.
1. Change the shooting angle of your mobile phones to alleviate or eliminate the moire effect.
2. Change the position of your mobile phones to alleviate the moire effect.
3. Change the focus point to change the definition, this may help to improve the moire effect.
4. Change camera lens focal length or replace other lenses to reduce the moire effect.
5. Use software like Photoshop to do after processing to remove the moire effect.
6. Use the front filter to install directly in front of the CCD to let the exposure conditions meet the spatial frequency. This will filter the high spatial frequency of the image completely, reducing the possibility of moire effect. However, it may reduce the sharpness of the pictures at the same time.
Now, we have put forward some solutions for you to deal with moire effect of LED display screens. You can apply them to see whether you can reduce or wipe out this annoying effect.
What is more, choosing a high-quality LED display with high-class driving IC and high refresh rate will also simplify the process, and improve your user experiences and visual effect!
In this article, we talk about the causes of moire effect LED screen, and how to tackle it in the most-effective methods. Hope it can bring you some helpful ideas! For any more information and problems about LED display, you may find answers on our LED FAQ page!